By Paul R. Berman
The sector of atom interferometry has improved speedily in recent times, and todays examine laboratories are utilizing atom interferometers either as inertial sensors and for precision measurements. Many researchers additionally use atom interferometry as a way of gaining knowledge of primary questions in quantum mechanics. Atom Interferometry comprises contributions from theoretical and experimental physicists on the vanguard of this speedily constructing box. Editor Paul R. Berman contains a superb stability of heritage fabric and up to date experimental results,providing a basic evaluate of atom interferometry and demonstrating the promise that it holds for the longer term. Key positive factors * contains contributions from a number of the examine teams that experience pioneered this rising box * Discusses and demonstrates new features of the wave nature of atoms * Explains the numerous vital purposes of atom interferometry, from a size of the gravitational consistent to atom lithography * Examines functions of atom interferometry to essentially vital quantum mechanics difficulties
Read Online or Download Atom Interferometry PDF
Best atomic & nuclear physics books
This publication is written for graduate scholars simply starting learn, for theorists interested in what experimentalists really can and do degree, and for experimentalists bewildered through idea. it's a consultant for power clients of spectroscopic information, and makes use of language and ideas that bridge the frequency-and time-domain spectroscopic groups.
Numerical simulation of lattice-regulated QCD has turn into a massive resource of knowledge approximately powerful interactions. within the previous few years there was an explosion of thoughts for acting ever extra actual reviews at the homes of strongly interacting debris. Lattice predictions without delay influence many parts of particle and nuclear physics thought and phenomenology.
- Interferometry with Interacting Bose-Einstein Condensates in a Double-Well Potential
- Proceedings of the Dalgarno Celebratory Symposium: Contributions to Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Astrophysics, and Atmospheric Physics
- Ultrafast Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy
- Quantum Interference and Coherence: Theory and Experiments
- Atome, Moleküle, Festkörper
- Optical Polarization of Molecules (Cambridge Monographs on Atomic, Molecular and Chemical Physics)
Extra resources for Atom Interferometry
7. ~;. ~'~r ' :. ,~:-~g~:~ 9 9 o I .... -:...... "-. " . . . _ 9 . : .... :;, :,.. :v. : ~:. 5 (arb. units) FIG. 8. Observing Rabi flops in m o m e n t u m transfer. The detector is displaced from the collimation axis by one photon recoil, and w e measure the count rate as a function of laser intensity. As the power increases, the atoms have an oscillatory probability of being excited that is given by the Rabi formula. To scatter a single photon, w e set the p o w e r to the value at the first m a x i m u m of these oscillations, w h i c h c l o s e l y corresponds to a 7r pulse.
Exploded view of the interaction region. The foil is black. The insulating alumina spacers are shown in white, and the aluminum side plates are gray. The split atomic beams of the interferometer enter from the front (lower left) and pass on either side of the foil. We have made good septa using both 10/xm thick copper foil and 12/xm thick metalized mylar. The interaction region was mounted behind the second grating on a stack of manipulators. These provided transverse translation to move the foil in and out of the beam line and rotation about both the vertical axis and the beam axis to align the plane of the foil parallel to the ribbon-shaped atomic beam.
3 /xm phase gratings rigidly connected to our atom optics gratings (see Fig. 9). Our active control system assured long-term alignment of the gratings by servoing the second grating to stay at a given position relative to the other two gratings. This point was picked to ensure that the light interferometer was always near its maximum sensitivity point for position measurements. As an added bonus, the servo allowed us to apply a well-defined grating phase to the interferometer by deliberately shifting the second grating.
Atom Interferometry by Paul R. Berman